Actually what you say makes no sense to me because my monitor is already at
bare minimum. Its not the intensity, its the contrast. The problem
obviously is not an exposure of 30 minutes. The mail I am writing now  has
a white background. But its not a problem because I spent an 1 hour tops
with email total time. I would like if Gmail had a dark theme but its no
big deal.  However when one spent more than 8 hours it becomes a problem.

It was the same when I was studying in UK law. I was very used into reading
english because the vast majority of the coding books I had bought and
reading since I was 13 years old were in english. It was not a problem
reading for an hour, but after 5 hours both my eyes and brain were tired.
Its that extra effort that accumulates hour by hour and the more time you
spent, the more obvious it becomes. 5 hours reading a book in my mother
tongue is like night and day.

So  when I was spending a lot of hours working with Pharo the white them
did became a major problem for me. Its not as if I see a light theme and
after a few minutes I scream in pain "Oh my eyes are burning" :D