I am not familiar with the literature on scanners. May I ask you about some
details on the "for all characters" algorithms you are referring to?

Building a (or connecting to) a BDD library would be fun, indeed. But within
that time frame it seems not realistic. Anyway, after finishing my thesis, I'd
like to come back to that idea.

Ciao, Steffen