Class side #initialize is executed only when a class is loaded for the
first time.
Posteriors "updates" to the class, or even to the initialize method do not
re-execute #initialize.

Now, about the FFI particular requirements, I'd let Esteban answer :)

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 3:08 AM, Ben Coman <[email protected]> wrote:

> Because I'm lazy to experiment this instant (not wanting to get distracted
> from my current track), and also its probably a useful remainder for others
> I'll just ask...
>
> When MyClass is loaded, #initialize is sent to it.  Typically the
> class-side>>initialize should not call "super initialize" to avoid
> re-initializing the superclaass, but what if MyClass doesn't implement
> #initialize?  Does the message fall through to the superclass, or is
> #initialize only sent if MyClass implements it?
>
> Concrete example...
> FFIExternalEnumeration subclass MyEnumeration needs to be sent
> #initializeEnumeration when it is loaded.  We have...
>
>     FFIExternalEnustmeration>>#initialize
> self initializeEnumeration
>
> so is MyEnumeration *required* to implement its own
> MyEnumeration>>#initialize, or can it rely 
> FFIExternalEnustmeration>>#initialize.
>  I believe it is the former, but just wanted to confirm my understanding.
>
> cheers -ben
>
>
>


-- 



Guille Polito

Research Engineer

Centre de Recherche en Informatique, Signal et Automatique de Lille

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

French National Center for Scientific Research - *http://www.cnrs.fr
<http://www.cnrs.fr>*


*Web:* *http://guillep.github.io* <http://guillep.github.io>

*Phone: *+33 06 52 70 66 13

Reply via email to