Hi,

the #initialize message is sent only to the classes that implement this
method. In *.st files it is an explicit call, Monticello does it slightly
smarter way, see MCMethodDefinition>>#postloadOver:

Cheers,
-- Pavel

2017-11-14 3:08 GMT+01:00 Ben Coman <[email protected]>:

> Because I'm lazy to experiment this instant (not wanting to get distracted
> from my current track), and also its probably a useful remainder for others
> I'll just ask...
>
> When MyClass is loaded, #initialize is sent to it.  Typically the
> class-side>>initialize should not call "super initialize" to avoid
> re-initializing the superclaass, but what if MyClass doesn't implement
> #initialize?  Does the message fall through to the superclass, or is
> #initialize only sent if MyClass implements it?
>
> Concrete example...
> FFIExternalEnumeration subclass MyEnumeration needs to be sent
> #initializeEnumeration when it is loaded.  We have...
>
>     FFIExternalEnustmeration>>#initialize
> self initializeEnumeration
>
> so is MyEnumeration *required* to implement its own
> MyEnumeration>>#initialize, or can it rely 
> FFIExternalEnustmeration>>#initialize.
>  I believe it is the former, but just wanted to confirm my understanding.
>
> cheers -ben
>
>
>

Reply via email to