Hello Hajo,

> )Hello,
>
> I must confess that I have not RTFM totally, so when my question has
> been asked or answered before, sorry.
>
> I have been using Smalltalk about 25 years ago and still have the
> books from Goldberg and Lalonde. But during the time I watched but did
> not actively follow the development. In the last years I switched to
> Python using also the NLTK.
>
> My main problem is the organisation of information  in the form of
> lots of text objects. Here I used heavily Emacs and the org mode and
> still my favorite: Scrivener
> (https://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener/overview)
>
> I am still looking for an integrated environment to
> write/organize/analyse text. And I am sure that everything is in Pharo
> and what is missing can be programmed.

Which kind of text analysis/organization you want to do? NLP? FRBR?

There are several options for text processing:

There is also NaturalSmalltlak with stemmer, TF-IDF, supervised and
unsupervised classifiers, k-means clustering, naive Bayes, etc.

I didn't checked but this project
https://github.com/mark-watson/nlp_smalltalk claims support for NER,
POS, segmentation and summarization.

There is Moose-Algos-InformationRetrieval (ex Hapax) with stemmers and
corpus support.

Maybe you can install it by evaluating:

Metacello new
        configuration: 'MooseAlgos';
        smalltalkhubUser: 'Moose' project: 'MooseAlgos';
        version: #development;
        load: 'Moose-Tests-Algos-Graph’

> I understand that Smalltalk is an IDE, but I haven't been pointed to
> Pharo as a standard desktop. I found Grafoscopio which seemed to me a
> basis for the work I do, but still haven't found tools for standard
> text processing/ file management / dictionary lookup etc.
>
> And I am still missing/haven't found working examples in the classes,
> so that if you are unsure what it really stands for, I could start an
> example and start digging. As an example until now I was not able to
> import my org files and see what the parser does.
>
> So are there some documents where it is explained where to find an
> editor, markup-tags, so that I can import my text base and can start
> playing with my text within Pharo and use it also as a working
> environment.

If the above doesn't fit your requirements could you comment which
type of text do you have?

Cheers,

Hernán