> Am 19.06.2018 um 15:22 schrieb Guillermo Polito <guillermopol...@gmail.com>:
>

> On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 2:07 PM Norbert Hartl <norb...@hartl.name
> <mailto:norb...@hartl.name>> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> let me wear the project manager hat for a moment.
>
> let me too, because the fact that I'm younger does not mean I don't know,
> right? :)

It has more to do with experience then with age. Well, the one thing enables
sometimes the other but there is no strict causality, right.

>> Am 19.06.2018 um 10:59 schrieb Guillermo Polito <guillermopol...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:guillermopol...@gmail.com>>:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> About why 1.1.1 and not 1.2.0. It’s not about cheap or not, but about
>> semantics :)
>
> for me „caring about semantics“ is just one of the top ten justifications
> developers use for the changes they did.
>
> Maybe, and putting the hat of project manager is usually a justification for
> somebody that is not good at technical stuff.
> But I know that's not like it, so please let's not enter into this, I've felt
> a little insulted by this comment...

That is pretty clear by what you wrote. It wasn’t meant to be personal so
please don’t take it like that. So do I.

>> We can agree that there is no hard rule on versionning, do we? But I try to
>> follow the following guidelines (delta my own interpretation that adds some
>> subjectivity :P)
>> - Major Version will change when we break backwards compatibility
>> - Minor Version will change when new features are added
>> - Otherwise, patch version will change.
>>
> There is only one hard rule for me and that is knowing about the risk to take.
>
> That's a matter of conventions. We agree that version 1.1.x is compatible
> with 1.1.y.
>
> So if we take the patch version it should only include important bug fixes
> and nothing else. I would argue that only #864, #862, #858 and #854 qualify
> for such a patch if at all.
>
> So they are to my view. They should not introduce any compatibility issue.
> And if they do, that's an error, but we are too few helping here, doing our
> best...

My mail was meant to be a plea for exactly this. If you don’t think the hot-fix
(I like that much more than patch) solves a show stopper for a lot of users of
this version you don’t put it in a patch version. If it is in the slightest
sense an improvement don’t put into a patch version but a minor on. Because I
don’t want to have my stuff broken but I choose to update in order to get the
improvement hence a deliberate action. If all of these commits are hot-fixes
then take my big excuse for bringing this up.

> Not sure about #860 because the title is not specific enough.
>
> Please, I'll let you judge it for yourself
>
> https://github.com/pharo-vcs/iceberg/pull/860/files
> <https://github.com/pharo-vcs/iceberg/pull/860/files>
>
> But to me that change applies to patch. It actually fixes a compatibility
> issue that was introduced in 1.1.0.
>
> The point for me is that I want my project to rely on something like 1.1.x
> because I don’t want anything to change that breaks my software. And I can
> tell you that most developers underestimate the side-effects of changes.
>
> I'm well aware of this. But do you have a concrete issue?

For what?

>> So I don’t assign a new version number regarding the number of changes but
>> about what they mean...
>
> To mean they mean it is a risk to use that version and you define how big
> that is.
>
> We are trying to do weekly releases, we could do better but again. I can
> count with my hand fingers people contributing with actual commits and issues
> in the issue tracker.

This time it is not about having more but less in a version.

>> Now, I considered myself this release as a patch because mostly little bugs
>> here and there were fixed.
>> Moreover, one of the changes done in the credentials manager was to
>> *recover* some backwards compatibility for people setting up credentials in
>> settings files.
>> Of course, to this we add to this that my own interpretation saying that the
>> changes do not break compatibility nor add features :)
>>
> You see you said „mostly bugs“ and that is the error already.
>
> I'm sorry for not being perfect...
>
> I mean we come from an amateurish behaviour that we change released artefacts.
>
> I assure you I do my best on it, and I'm one of the first that cries aloud
> when there are versionning and dependencies problems.
> What I do not understand if this mail was meant as a lesson for the community
> or should I take it personally...

I know you do your best. And I know that you are a really good developer that
does great stuff all the time. It is neither meant as a lesson nor something
you should take personally. I do not often raise my wishes because I always
need to assurance it is something really important and not something I want out
of my current mood. But this is something I have no doubt about so I bring it
up. And I do all of this for quite some time and that does count, too.

> That is not discussable just a no-go.
>
> I know and I'm against it. So we agree, right?

Yes.

> The reason was it would have wasted a huge amount of time to do a new
> version. So ok it was a loose-loose situation. Now we can do it better and I
> want something far less amateurish. So you can discuss your semantics about
> what major and minor versions in pharo mean but patch needs to be the
> definition of the combination: least risk - highest value.
>
> Would you help us measuring the risk?

Sure.

>> Now, this is the kind of subjective topic that starts a flamewar, but I’d
>> prefer to use my time on somewhat else ^^.
>
> You may not like to talk about these things but I do. And you should listen.
>
> I mostly do [enjoy such discussions] but what I learn from this discussion is:
>  - you think I'm stupid, or young, or both, so I don't know
>  - we are all amateurs

No, it is more like
- you took it as a personal insult. That was not my intention and I apologize
- well, we includes me. There are things that I have a pretty solid opinion
about and that is what I want to raise. And I want to bring that into the
community. It is also important work

> I have no use for an environment where people only care about coding new cool
> stuff.
>
> I'm fu*** trying to make Iceberg as stable as possible, If I was just wanting
> to do new cool stuff I would not be doing this.

I know.

Norbert