Hi, I tried it some more times and things are different now:
- image appeared to lock up (1st)
- no network traffic at all (2nd)
- image unresponsive, loading successful after 2 minutes (3rd)
Call me a fool, but I didn't do anything different. Notably, it succeeded each time in 7.0. =)

There is no specific reason to use SmallInteger maxVal... and nobody ever thought it might be too little.

Maybe it makes sense to change this? It appears to be just wrong and on 32bit the limit is well in practical reach. With a little guidance, I'd try to do a first PR myself (if the change is considered sensible).

I was mentioning #min: since it is implemented in terms of 'min: min max: SmallInteber maxVal'.

Is there an easy way to create a character class, similar to [1-2x-z]?

Best, Steffen

Use $- asPParser for characters, e.g:
$- asPParser parse: '-'

[1]: https://travis-ci.org/kursjan/petitparser2/builds/438358467