On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 07:15:22PM +0100, Alexandre Garreau wrote:
> But I saw the bootstrap process involve redownloading a binary image
> anyway… I’d have just prefered to recompile it to be sure, as I’m
> usually more comfortable with this idea.  Normally compiling a new
> language is —though long— not that difficult.

For Pharo (and relatives like Squeak and Cuis) there are two parts: VM
and image. To build your own VM, follow the README's instructions for
the OpenSmalltalk VM:

  https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm

As for building your own images, for now, I suggest to use the standard
downloadable images.

Pierce