On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 at 20:06, ponyatov <dponya...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, colleague.
>
> I'm also working in the same domain, primarily on the target of adapting
> the
> Actor model (async distributed messaging) for IoT systems in a wide: from
> deeply embedded nodes to top-level north-side cloud cervices.
>
> I like Pharo as a workstation system and IDE, but I'm not looking Pharo as
> self-hosted platform for my needs. The problem is all IoT infrastructure it
> tightly bound with low-level C for nodes and Java for top-side. There are
> dozens and hundreds of existing projects, firmware source codes, platforms,
> etc which I must integrate with as is.
>
> As you know, Smalltalk is well known as bad in interaction with other
> existing projects,

Historically that was true, but Pharoers saw interaction with the outside
as a gap they had to close
and third party libraries are not hard to use via FFI..  Here is one small
example of my own making calls into the LibSodium crypto library.
https://github.com/Traadh/bittrex/search?q=ffi&unscoped_q=ffi

If anybody doubts, try to use it the same way as
> Lua engine: embed into existing C#/Java project,

Embedding Pharo is getting better now that we have a headless VM

http://forum.world.st/ANN-Pharo-Headless-Beta-Actually-what-is-between-Alpha-and-Beta-td5102089.htm

able to use an external library like GTK3 for its graphics backend.

> or bind it with any
> randomly selected C++ library in a click, like Qt, LLVM, wxWidgets or
> something fat like this.

Can you link to some info/tutorial on such one-click binding.  What
workflow should Pharo be trying to emulate?

cheers -ben