Dear all,

This Thursday (Oct 20) at the Serious Metaphysics Group, James Hutton
will be presenting 'Emotion as sensitivity to value: the implementation
problem' (abstract below). The talk will be at 1.00-2.30pm, at the
Philosophy faculty board room.

For the rest of the Michaelmas term card, please do have a look here: [1]

Best wishes,
Li Li

How can emotions function as a sensitivity to evaluative properties? If
we want to maintain that they can, then there are various problems we
need to solve. One is the _Implementation Problem:_ can we explain how
emotions track evaluative properties, without lamely invoking an
unexplained faculty of intuition?

The problem can be put more clearly, by distinguishing between three
levels of description: the _function_; the _algorithm _that performs the
function; and the biological processes that _implement _that algorithm.
What kind of algorithm_ _could perform this epistemic function of
tracking values? And how could the emotions implement_ _that algorithm?

To fill in the _algorithm_-level, I draw an analogy with cases from the
psychology of "expert intuition": the capacities of expert chess
players, firefighters and neonatal nurses. These experts' "intuitive
capacities" are constituted by subpersonal processes which exploit
stable statistical correlations between cues and the 'intuited' facts. I
argue that similar processes would suffice in the case of value,
exploiting the supervenience of values on non-normative properties. I
argue that the inputs and outputs of our emotion-systems make them
capable of implementing such an algorithm.

A question remains as to how our emotion-systems could become attuned to
the relationship between cues and values. Understood as a causal
question, we can answer with an explanation, involving upbringing and
cultural evolution. The explanation leaves a residual sceptical worry,
but this isn't as serious as it first appears.

Li Li Tan
PhD Candidate in Philosophy
St Catharine's College

To unsubscribe from the CamPhilEvents mailing list,
or change your membership options, please visit
the list information page:

List archive:

Please note that CamPhilEvents doesn't accept email
attachments. See the list information page for further
details and suggested alternatives.