From taediso...@aol.com  Sun Dec 19 09:48:18 2004
From: taediso...@aol.com (taediso...@aol.com)
Date: Sun Dec 24 13:09:58 2006
Subject: [Phono-L] Dave Heitz

I hardly know where to begin... Dave's death has hit me hard. He has  been a
very dear friend for over 10 years, and I've spent many happy hours  visiting
with him. His legendary October parties were such a treat that I made  it a
point to fly from CA to PA every year to participate. A few of us would  come
in
on Saturday morning and spend the day helping him to set up -- a massive  job
considering the number of guests and the lavishness of the feast he
presented. But we'd have a grand time working through the day, then go out for
celebratory dinner. My happiest memories were of the post-party evenings, after

most people had left and only a few hard-core collectors would hang around,
eating leftovers, drinking to excess, and sharing stories. The fellowship and
good cheer was much more intoxicating than Dave's open bar!

Dave was unbelievably generous with his time and knowledge. Not to mention
generous with objects. On one visit I was joined by a friend who was a rabidly
fanatic cylinder collector. The topic of North American brown wax came up,
and  Dave pulled out a channel-rim NA cylinder and handed it to my friend,
saying  "here you go." It was not in the best of condition, but it was
playable,
and my  friend nearly melted into a puddle of gratitude at this astonishing
gesture.  Dave was simply happy to see it go to someone who truly appreciated
it.
On  another occasion a visitor was carrying on about his favorite singer, Ada
Jones.  Dave went off for a bit and rummaged through a file drawer, then
presented his  guest with an autographed postcard sent by Ada to her nephew in
the
early  part of the century. Just one more random act of kindness, for which
Dave was so  famous.

I also treasure the memories of cruising through the back roads behind New
Hope, PA, in his Model T touring car, with Dave activating the 'wolf whistle'
and laughing like a teenager as we tore up the roads at 30mph. Last year,
after  a pit stop at a local colonial-era tavern, Dave handed the keys to the T
our  friend Bill Ptacek and said "here, you drive." How many people do you
know who  would simply give the keys to his cherished antique auto to someone
else like  that?

Then again, that's how he presented his collection. At his annual party  when
he opened the doors to his "barn," which was in reality a spectacularly
arranged private museum, everything was fair game. Guests were free to play
with
any of the machines they wanted to. The coin-ops all had trays of coins handy,
 the Victors all had fresh needles. If someone needed to inspect a motor,
they  were free to open any machine. Fortunately, as far as I know, no one ever

betrayed his trust.

I have stories upon stories like that. Dave was simply the best, a true
gentleman yet someone who didn't hesitate to speak his mind openly. He was a
character, in the best sense of the word. A loveable curmudgeon, a
cantankerous
teddy bear. The hobby will not be the same without  him.

Best regards,
Rene Rondeau