From: "john robles"
To: "Antique Phonograph List"

Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2004 11:57 AM
Subject: RE: [Phono-L] cracked cylinders

> I once did it by heating a dental tool (you can pick up all shapes and
sizes at flea market tool booths) and touching it to the inside of the
crack. Of course this could potentially make it explode too for all I know,
but it worked for me. I then ran some glue over the repair (between the
internal rings of an Edison cylinder. If yours is smooth inside this will
not work).
> John
>
> "Carter, Keith" wrote:
> The cylinders I have are not that expensive.
> Thought I could do a repair myself instead of just leaving them sit and
> collecting dust.

On
> Behalf Of john robles
> Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2004 2:41 PM
> To: Antique Phonograph List
> Subject: Re: [Phono-L] cracked cylinders
>
> Dr. Mike Khanchalian (the Cylinder Doctor) does fantastic repairs to
cracked
> cylinders using heat, dental waxes and tools. He fixed a cracked Sarah
> Bernhardt cylinder that I had. Afterwards you couldn't hear the repair. I
> highly recommend him, especially if it is a precious cylinder. If you want
> to use him, let me know and I can make the connection.
> John Robles
>
> "Carter, Keith" wrote:
> Hello List,
> Would like to pass these questions along to everyone.
>
> Is there any way to repair a black (Edison or other) cylinder if they have
> crack?
>
> Is there any way to repair a Blue cylinder that has missing plaster on the
> inner edge? Re-shape it so there is no flat spot on the playing side from
> the missing plaster. About ½ inch deep and 1 inch long missing on the
inside
> edge of the beginning song side.
>
> Thanks,
> Keith