From: phono-l-boun...@oldcrank.org [mailto:phono-l-boun...@oldcrank.org] On
Behalf Of estott
Sent: Sunday, March 12, 2006 7:23 PM
To: Antique Phonograph List
Subject: Re: [Phono-L] phonograph cabinets

----- Original Message -----
From: "Doug" <cdh...@earthlink.net>
To: "Antique Phonograph List" <phono-l@oldcrank.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 12, 2006 8:02 PM

> . On Victor, the cabinet corners are solid
> mahogany or whatever decorative woods were elsewhere on the cabinet. They
> carved those pieces, so they had to be solids.

That would be true for the more expensive models, but I've had a VVX where
the legs, and some of the interior were birch stained to match- it was a
common practice in the industry and can look very convincing.   I've also
seen some cabinets from other makers with gumwood panels- if the grain is
well chosen it can look pretty damm good.

Eric Stott