Folks -

I think it's still ok to do this, but shout me down if it's not.  I'll be
selling a rather desirable phonograph on eBay but wanted to offer it to
the group first.  Here are the particulars...

It's an Edison B-80, which is an early belt-drive tabletop model Diamond
Disc machine.  It has the early oddball tonearm-lowering mechanism which
utilizes a knurled knob and cam at the pivot point of the tomearm.  The
cabinet has a lid, unlike the similar A-60 and B-60 models, and is
quartersawn oak.  The tonearm and horn mouth are painted with faux
woodgrain to match.  There's a matching 2-door oak base cabinet for record
storage, which although it has no Edison labels, is obviously designed for
this machine - it has no top, and the phono has no feet, and the rounded
edges all match.

This 2-piece set is rare enough, but on top of all that, it's in virtually
perfect all-original condition.  No nicks, scuffs, dents, checking,
flaking of the faux woodgrain paint...even the turntable felt is perfect
like the day it left the factory.  The only flaw i see is that the nickel
plating on the crank is bad.  The cabinet is also flawless.  It even has
the original belt (broken) lying inside it - I'll replace that if
necessary, but the motor winds and spins fine so i haven't bothered.

It even came with a selection of Diamond Discs, each carefully filed in
sleeves with the matching descriptive labels of the record on them and in
perfect condition.

Here is the story:  this machine was at a wealthy San Francisco family's
country home, and thus seldom used but well maintained.  The lady I bought
it from had rented the carriage house on the property for many years, and
when the old lady of the house passed away, her nephew from out of town
gave away much of the contents to clear the place out for sale - and gave
this to the tenant lady.  My guess is that since the belt was broken, it
sat safely for many years without anyone able to mis-use it.

I'll post pictures tonight if anyone's interested.  I'd hang on to it but
don't have room - and it overlaps with other DDs i already have in my
collection.  It'd be nice to send this sort of special item to one of our
group rahter than a random ebayer.  Location is the SF Bay Area, and the
price, well let's talk.

-- Peter
pjfra...@alamedanet.net