Sounds like you folks who would never play an old record on original
equipment shouldn't play them on anything that creates drag, wear, damage,
etc. Perhaps you should consider the purchase the "really cool" and really
"expensive" laser player. I saw it demoed at the CAPS show a few years ago.
Nothing but light when you play records on that machine. But, not very
affordable (many thousands if I remember correctly). I would think the
records would never wear out if played on this equipment. The biggest risk
would just be the risk of breaking the record getting to the machine.

I don't collect particuallary rare records. I have a modest collection of
records that work well on my original machines. I have a handful I keep
hidden away and never play that are rare. But, that isn't interesting to me.
I have several CDs I have purchased that are digital captures of records and
they are nice enough. But, for me hearing Caruso on my 1905 Vic VI is far
more satisying than hearing the digital capture on my stereo. No matter how
good the transfer might be. That might not be as true for some of the later
electronically recorded music. But, I listen mainly to acoustic music
anyway.

It's all perspective and interest. And as we all know if we shop much for
records, most old records can't be given away let alone be considered
rare. I promise I won't ruin any rare records (as I don't owm many), but I
won't likely listen to any of my records on anything but oringial equipment.
Just my preference.

Dan