Sure, Peter! The hardware hasn't changed. It's still a simple, first
generation G4 Mac Mini. It was running the client version of OS X 10.4, with
some add-on programs (mainly from MacPorts) to make it act as a server.
Unfortunately, Apple security patches were starting to break things, like
email & spam filtering. So it was getting a bit hard to maintain.
So I obtained the server version of 10.4, which pretty much works out of the
box. Now we're running a nice, clean server install that should extend the
service life of the hardware - for as long as 10.4 is supported, anyway. The
transfer went pretty smoothly - the toughest job was getting Phono-L to play
nicely with the new email system.

You might ask why I stuck with 10.4 rather than upgrade to the current
10.5... hardware limitations. 10.5 is just too much to lift on the G4.

So there you go, in a nutshell!
Loran

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 11:27 PM, Peter Fraser <pjfra...@alamedanet.net>wrote:

> care to let us know the hardware and software details of the new server?
>

> On Nov 11, 2008, at 3:43 PM, Loran Hughes wrote:
>
>  Thanks for your patience, folks. I've still got a few things to bring back
>> on line, such as the Phono-L home page and the chat room. But it's been a
>> long day, so it's "Miller time!" I'll be back at it tomorrow.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Loran

Nice!  Our cute li'l mac mini is permanently hooked up to the big LCD
tv and acts as a media server with 1TB of movies pix and music, as
well as being a Internet device with a 42" monitor.

What's macports?

Sent from my iPhone

-- Peter
pjfra...@mac.com

On Nov 12, 2008, at 9:13 AM, "Loran T. Hughes" <lo...@oldcrank.com>
wrote:

> Sure, Peter! The hardware hasn't changed. It's still a simple, first
> generation G4 Mac Mini. It was running the client version of OS X
> 10.4, with
> some add-on programs (mainly from MacPorts) to make it act as a
> server.
> Unfortunately, Apple security patches were starting to break things,
> like
> email & spam filtering. So it was getting a bit hard to maintain.
> So I obtained the server version of 10.4, which pretty much works
> out of the
> box. Now we're running a nice, clean server install that should
> extend the
> service life of the hardware - for as long as 10.4 is supported,
> anyway. The
> transfer went pretty smoothly - the toughest job was getting Phono-L
> to play
> nicely with the new email system.
>
> You might ask why I stuck with 10.4 rather than upgrade to the current
> 10.5... hardware limitations. 10.5 is just too much to lift on the G4.
>
> So there you go, in a nutshell!
> Loran
>
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 11:27 PM, Peter Fraser <pjfra...@alamedanet.net
> >wrote:
>
>> care to let us know the hardware and software details of the new
>> server?
>>

>> On Nov 11, 2008, at 3:43 PM, Loran Hughes wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for your patience, folks. I've still got a few things to
>> bring back
>>> on line, such as the Phono-L home page and the chat room. But it's
>>> been a
>>> long day, so it's "Miller time!" I'll be back at it tomorrow.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Loran