  From: Loran T. Hughes
  To: Antique Phonograph List
  Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 12:13 PM
  Subject: Re: [Phono-L] We're Back!

  Sure, Peter! The hardware hasn't changed. It's still a simple, first
  generation G4 Mac Mini. It was running the client version of OS X 10.4, with
  some add-on programs (mainly from MacPorts) to make it act as a server.
  Unfortunately, Apple security patches were starting to break things, like
  email & spam filtering. So it was getting a bit hard to maintain.
  So I obtained the server version of 10.4, which pretty much works out of the
  box. Now we're running a nice, clean server install that should extend the
  service life of the hardware - for as long as 10.4 is supported, anyway. The
  transfer went pretty smoothly - the toughest job was getting Phono-L to play
  nicely with the new email system.

  You might ask why I stuck with 10.4 rather than upgrade to the current
  10.5... hardware limitations. 10.5 is just too much to lift on the G4.

  So there you go, in a nutshell!
  Loran