Hi all, I think this is it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbPa-VWAzSY

Cheers,

Chris

From waltsomm...@comcast.net  Mon Mar  2 09:45:31 2009
From: waltsomm...@comcast.net (Walt Sommers)
Date: Mon Mar  2 09:50:49 2009
Subject: Small Spring Service on YouTube: ........Was Re: [Phono-L]
        retarmysgt (William) post regarding Gramophoneshane

Thanks for the link Chris:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbPa-VWAzSY

I mostly use jigs and fixtures to hold and wind springs because of the
numerous services I perform for others and the benefit that they afford
me in terms of speed and safety. The technique described is applicable
to 1/3 or less of the motors I routinely encounter. Most springs are
significantly larger. I don't know the dimensions of the barrel or the
spring in the video clip but I am guessing they are no more than about
1" wide, and based on the ease of flexing them they can't be thicker
than about .019". Such a hand-held technique is okay for tiny springs
like the one shown, but anyone attempting to service springs in machines
like the Edison Diamond Disc or Edison Triumph (just to name two) should
not attempt the job with such an unsafe and mechanically inadequate
arrangement. My grip is that of a high steel worker but it falls short
of what the big guns need. Once you start trying to wrestle with two
springs in the same barrel or those that are wider than 1 1/4", thicker
than .02" and with lengths that exceed 12 feet, the danger factor
increases exponentially. I actually enjoy a certain sense of risk when I
work on motors and I don't mind getting nipped (Hint: The use of red
grease helps hide the damage from my wife), but there is a level at
which mere risk becomes high probability. I know that some folks don't
wear gloves of any sort when they work on springs, claiming that it
reduces their dexterity which they say adds a risk factor that outweighs
the potential of getting gashed from Pandora or one of her high tension
sisters. Good, thin, Kevlar reinforced gloves are expensive, but one
pair costs a fraction of what a trip to the emergency room costs. And
some injuries that send you to the emergency room often result in
permanent losses of dexterities (I know firsthand - pun intended).

I think Shane's video pretty much shows the gore and inevitable goo that
one must contend with when confronting spring service and I am glad he
posted it.

Regards,
Walt