Ger,
I mentioned in my previous post that The surface of the records is a phenolic
resin derived from coal tar similar to Bakelite that Edison called Condensite.
Phenolic resin is some of the toughest and most chemically-neutral stuff on the
planet. I don't think Edison's concern was that a drop of water should ever
touch the surface of a record because water is simply not going to react with a
phenolic
resin in any way. I think the concern really was that water would come in
contact with the edges of the record since the core is highly absorbtive wood
flour and clay.. I'm not advocating the use of water, merely trying to explain
the reasoning for the use of alcohol and why alcohol won't hurt the chemically
tough surface of the records.

The 'bearing' you oiled on the reproducer is properly called a 'hinge block'.
Cylinder reproducers have them, too, in various forms.

Where do you live, Ger? Perhaps there is another collector nearby who could
come over and walk you througgh this a bit.