Greetings Gabriel:

It is difficult to address your problems without examining the phonograph.
What is the serial number of the Triton springmotor?  What is the serial
number of the machine?  There were different threads used early on. When the
speed control knob gained the pointer and the speed calibrations printed on
the bedplate in 1903 the threads remained unchanged until the end of
production.  Does your motor have the correct square crank shaft and the round
3
ball governor?  I ask to help determine if all the parts are original and the
motor is not a conglomeration.  What is the serial number of the Triumph from
which you borrowed the control knob to test if it would work?  Very likely
it was a Model B or later machine.

The Home and Standard Model A speed control knob was not meant for any
Triton motor that I am aware of.  One would have to compare them to be sure.
There is a speed control knob on eBay now and Wyatt's carries them.  For just
over $20 you could try one.  Wyatt's should have the correct knob and
Dwayne, the owner, should know what you need as he is most knowledgeable.

>From the beginning the Triton motor was hung on springs with washers and
screws into the bedplate.  There was no belt tension idler pulley.  The whole
motor is raised or lowered by a thumbscrew to obtain correct belt tension.
Edison part numbers were #2752 for the springs, #2753 for the spring
washers, #2754 for the screws, and #2755 for the screw washers.  You can order
these plus the belt tightening screw #2816, washer #2817, nut #2818, and spring
from Wyatt's Musical Americana.  To my knowledge the Triton motor frame
should not be mounted solid with screws to the bedplate under any circumstance.

Now if you have the earliest single spring motor it will be mounted solid
to the bedplate with rubber pads as spacers.  Likewise Amet and Peerless
motors...

Best wishes,

Al