I am a very small collector and a member of the Vintage Phonograph Society
of New Zealand.
I live in the city of Dunedin which is about 4 1/2hr drive South of
Christchurch (we certainly felt the quake but to my knowledge we had no
damage) like most, we have extended family and many friends that live in the
Christchurch area.
The New Zealand Phonograph Society is based in Christchurch and the society
make and provide many phonograph parts, there is a great deal of collectors
that live in the Christchurch area and it is home to some fantastic
collections.
I imagine some collections would not have fared well out of this quake.
To consider helping Christchurch (or maybe the NZ Phonograph Society I do
not know if they need help!!) I think would be a fantastic thought.
Maybe (this is only my idea) that New Zealand could have a section on some
of the Edison Phonographs that many collectors in the USA never see eg the
Edison Wolledge portable phonograph and the Edison Amberola 80 ect.
I have only been a member of the "phonograph list" for a short time, this is
the first time I have ever sent in an email and maybe it isn't my place to
suggest this.
For interest!!
Our Prime Minister has called for a national acknowledgement of the
Christchurch earthquake by asking people to observe 2 minutes silence at
12.51 on Tuesday 1 March exactly a week after the shake. All the businesses
have asked for staff and customers to stand outside their business to stand
in solidarity with the people of Christchurch and those who have suffered
loss.
It is times like this when many things take on a new meaning!

All the best, Take care
Tony McCarthy