A NE-2 bulb and a series resistor and the strobe will work just perfectly, only 0.33 ea, http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/NE-210/NEON-LAMP-ASSEMBLY-WITH-RESISTOR/1.html

Some collectors have noticed that the Blue Amberol records shrink over time. After ~100 years this shrinkage is not insignificant. Even if the BA was recorded with exactly 160 RPM playback in mind due to this age related shrinkage the pitch is now incorrect.

On 07/07/2011 01:10 PM, William Taney wrote:
For 12 bucks you really can't go wrong with the laser, it is way more reliable
and surefire than counting manually and all the cylinder strobes I have seen
pretty much suck. And yes, new lightbulbs render them useless, CFL's don't
flicker @ 60hz..
Bill

On Jul 7, 2011, at 11:09 AM, Steven Medved wrote:

I tried this, I had to count the times it hit my finger.

From: tom...@msn.com
To: phono-l@oldcrank.org
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 14:58:30 -0500
Subject: Re: [Phono-L] cylinder speed tester

Please don't laugh, but I stick a small piece of paper under the edge of the
cylinder on the mandrel and use a stop watch and count how many times the
little piece of paper comes around.  Just a little bit of basic math and you
can accurately adjust the speed of your machine.

I like to do things the hard way though.
Tom