From: Scott and Denise Corbett <sdcorb...@earthlink.net>
To: 'Antique Phonograph List' <phono-l@oldcrank.org>
Sent: Fri, Aug 5, 2011 11:31 pm
Subject: Re: [Phono-L] Berliner record

Hi Steve and all,
Here is a great source for information.
This is where we found information on our little 5". 1889-1892 is indeed the
awn of disc records.
-Scott & Denise Corbett

elow is from the website: http://www.archeophone.org/Berliner5inch/
The earliest disc records
ver released :
he five inch Berliner Gramophone records
nline catalogue
It is commonly said that the first Berliner Gramophone record to be offered
n the market was pressed in the USA in October 1894. It was a seven inch
ecord. But in fact Emile Berliner (1851-1929), inventor of the gramophone
ecord, had made and sold records long before that date. It is a German toy
aker (Kämmer & Reinhardt in Waltershausen, Thuringen) who made and marketed
he very first Berliner Gramophone which was a toy with a cardboard horn,
and operated with a crank, but with no spring or motor.
This device put on the market from 1889 to 1892, rotated five inch records
12,5 cm) at 100-150 revolutions per minute. These records are not made of
hellac like records made later, but of gutta-percha : an inelastic
ompressed and vulcanized natural latex or rubber isolated from the sap of
everal species of tropical tree, but mainly from Palaquium gutta. They are
ressed from metallic matrixes. Both records and machines bear the mention
E. Berliner Grammophon D.R.P. [Deutsches Reichspatent] 45048". The label on
he reverse side of each record contains the title or the recorded text and
he mention of two of Berliner's US patents : Nov 1887, May 1888. They are
ndeed the oldest records in the world. The voice heard of most of these
ecords, singing or talking with no instrumental accompaniment, is Emile
erliner's own voice. This is commonly admitted and it is indeed a voice -
lways the same on different records - with an audible German accent. The
bove list represents the earliest disc record catalogue in the world.