I'm chiming in here on the WWI music comments, so changing the subject line,
but leaving the most recent prior emails copied below, from Melissa's thread:
Re: [Phono-L] Victor III is Working! Thank you!

I too, find WWI music quirky and engaging, and at times very poignant, earnest
and introspective, in addition to the audacious, indomitable upbeat numbers
that are more often called to mind in the general public's perception of that
conflict's music.

It all depends on the record.

I think my first WWI era 78 came to me from a friend of my mother's, around
1976 when I was 14.  It was a song full of pathos bordering on schmaltz,
recorded shortly after the war, called "Don't Steal Daddy's Medal" (subtitled
"The Burglar and the Child"): "With Tears down her cheeks the little child
cried, don't steal Daddy's medal - He won it for bravery - It was found by his
side before he died, and sent to my mother and me...".

It's fascinating to track how sentimentality played such a changing role in the
WWI years leading up to and during America's involvement in the war, and then
how records like Don't Steal Daddy's Medal and others kept it in the public
awareness for years after.  The newest WWI inspired record I'm aware of is "My
Dream of the Big Parade", recorded more than seven years after the end of the
war.

In the early years when America was neutral, we had records like the fabulous
pairing on Victor 17716 of "I Didn't Raise My Boy to be a Soldier" (from 1915),
with its prophetic opening line "Ten million Soldiers to the war must go who
may never return again", paired with "Stay Down Here Where You Belong".  I
think if I had to pick my favorite of a few dozen WWI records in my collection,
it would be this title.  It's a biting condemnation of war, with the construct
of the Devil talking to his son who wanted to go "Up Above..".  It was composed
by none other than Irving Berlin (who later spent a lot of time and energy
trying to keep it buried and prevent public performance of it).  An example of
one great line from "Stay Down Here Where You Belong" is "They're breaking the
hearts of mothers, making BUTCHERS out of brothers.  You'll find more HELL up
there than there is down below". (My caps denoting emphasized, nearly shouted
words in the recording).  The flip side of this reco
 rd, noted above and set to a militaristic beat, has the sung lyrics as opposed
to the more commonly found instrumental-only versions that were stripped of
their words as the war heated up for this country.

On a very heartfelt note, are three of the most popular introspective
recordings of the period: There's a Long, Long Trail", "Keep the Home Fires
Burning" and "Till We Meet Again".  All are beautiful ballads worth well worth
listening to, to get a flavor of this aspect of WWI popular music.  There were
many others like them.

Naturally, the zealous songs, with George M. Cohan's "Over There" most
representative of the genre, are what people usually call to mind: "Johnny get
your gun, get your gun get your gun, send them on the run, on the run, on the
run...  Make your mother glad that she had such a lad...  Tell your Sweetheart
not to pine, to be glad her boy's in line...".  This song, along with "Goodbye
Broadway, Hello France" and numerous others tried to capture a certain spirit
and rally public sentiment for "The Great War for Civilization".

The novelty songs, like "Good Morning Mr. Zip Zip Zip", "K-K-K-Katy" and
"Sister Susie's Sewing Shirts for Soldiers" and many others like them add some
needed levity to any collection of WWI music.  Don't forget Cal Stewart's "War
Talk at Pun'kin Center" (recorded early in the war, before U.S. involvement).

The jovial element in music of an otherwise tragic period, is carried through
to perfection just after the war with "I've Got My Captain Working for me Now"
(also by Berlin).  The Al Jolson rendition on Columbia is probably the most
animated version of this recording, bordering on gleeful.

Other Post-World WWI recordings memorialized and rounded out the more somber
aspects of the conflict.  The only recording of Edison's voice sanctioned for
public consumption tops this list, with his "Let Us Not Forget", tempering
American enthusiasm with reminders of the sacrifices made by our Allies; "Their
casualty lists tell the story.  However proud we may be of our own
achievements, let us remember always...".  Across the ocean, trying to put a
brave face on the struggle, which affected him so personally (he lost his only
son to the war) is Harry Lauder's "The Laddies Who Fought and Won".

A final post-script, improbably emerging in 1926, near the height of '20s
hoopla, is "My Dream of the Big Parade" on Victor 20098, with a spoken segment
by Billy Murray that brings back the horrors of the war and life in the
trenches.  Although the term "Post-traumatic stress disorder" wasn't known by
those words in that time, there's an aspect of this recording that's clearly an
example of it.  That it remained in the Victor catalog until 1933 is an
indication of how it resonated with the buying public of the day.

All these examples are just the tip of the ice burg for this diverse category
of recorded song.  I too, like my '20s records, love my Helen Kane recordings
and so many others of that escapist decade.  Records from the first decade of
the twentieth century are rich in the entertainment and imagery of those days
(in addition to the charming simplicity of the recordings); records from the
'30s (especially in the middle years of that decade, when you can find them)
have the distinct flavor of that period.  '40s, '50s, I enjoy them all.  But
for the sheer breadth, depth and richness of content in such a brief period of
recording history, the music of World War One is hard to top.

Andrew Baron
Santa Fe