I'm pleased to report that this is the most popular thing I've ever posted to the Box site; every few minutes, I get another notice that it has been downloaded!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Philip Carli" <philip_ca...@pittsford.monroe.edu>
To: "Antique Phonograph List" <phono-l@oldcrank.org>
Sent: Saturday, December 17, 2011 10:34 AM
Subject: Re: [Phono-L] Nutcracker Suite

Nice to hear your good opinion of the Befer transfers; they're done by my friend Bob Hodge, their chief engineer, who's very particular and works like blazes trueing things up on their Archeophone (as much as the management's time frame and the cylinders themselves will allow him to be - I've worked with him on cylinder projects, and some BA's just won't completely true). He also transfers at 1/2 speed for steadiness, then doubles for finishing. I'll pass along the good word; he's a superb technician with great "ears" who doesn't receive enough positive feedback, and your thoughts will cheer him considerably.

The DD _Nutcracker_ stayed in the catalogue until at least 1926, if not till the end, as they're in the 1925 catalogue; I have a paper label copy of the first disc and a quiet late etched copy of the second. The committee at West Orange which passed on DDs made some strange decisions which affected couplings and completeness (especially later on), but at least Sodero was the only Edison staffer who was given carte blanche as to repertoire selection. (One coupling was undoubtedly done for economic and logistical reasons; Sodero's 1916 ASO "Henry VIII" Dances by Edward German are given complete, but nos. 1 & 3, the most heavily orchestrated, are one side, and the lightly scored pastoral no. 2 on the other. ) Sodero was often a brisker conductor than his successor Irwin Schloss, who did the electrical Grieg and most electrical Edison orchestrals. Carlo Peroni also conducted a few electrical DD's, and his are excellent - the other Xmas Edison we play is his 1928 "Dream Pantomi me" from _Hansel & Gretel_ coupled with the "Pastoral Symphony" from _The Messiah_. I have 4 of the 5 London Edison NMB _Nutcracker_ cylinders myself, and enjoy them as well; in case you're wondering, they're conducted by George W. Byng, the London studio's music director.

A very merry Christmas to you! P. Carli