Here is my story:
I was stationed in San Diego, CA 1n 1988, aboard the USS Cape Cod (AD-43). I
was in supply, so I had plenty of room. I was at an antique store in San Diego
and saw a Victrola VI from 1918. I always wanted a Victrola and this small one
was perfect to bring aboard ship. It included 10 records and needles and was
good to go. During trips out to sea, I would play that Victrola.. She sure
sounded good.When I was due to transfer to Bremerton, WA, I had it shipped to
the barracks. Once I was settled in the barracks, I played the heck out of the
Victrola. I was bit by the bug.Later on I got an Edison Fireside, and a
Columbia Q. I had three phonographs in my barracks room. Thank goodness my room
mate was always out.I would play all of my machines while my household goods
were still in storage.I got Eric Reiss's book and learned about repairs and
restoration. These machines were my source of entertainment. In the meantime I
was buying a home, in Bremerton. While I
 was living in the barracks, my neighbor would play rap records. I asked him
many times to to turn down the music.He would not comply. I took my Edison
Fireside with the big horn and crane added to it and placed the horn on the
wall. I played the most obnoxious cylinders over and over again. There was a
knock on my door and my neighbor was pleading for me to stop. He wanted to know
what was making all of this noise, so I showed him the Fireside with the big
horn against the wall. He was fascinated with my mini collection. A month
later, I moved into the house and these phonographs breed like rabbits!!! I
have been collecting for close to 25 years.
Harvey Kravitz