Honestly, growing up in western Michigan, even as a white male I felt somewhat
oppressed by the very nature of the clannish ethnic groups. It didn't matter if
you were white, what mattered was whether you were Polish or Dutch. For
example, the Dutch had bumper stickers that said "If you're not Dutch, you're
not much." Talk about discrimination... you couldn't buy a house in Zeeland,
Michigan without going through an "interview" with a Dutch realtor - there were
no "For Sale/Rent" signs in Zeeland, even though houses were obviously
available. If your last name didn't end with a "ski" or other Polish ending you
weren't accepted on the west side of Grand Rapids and the blacks were all
located in their own section of town, because to avoid the busing and
integration laws each small community that made up the total of Grand Rapids
proper, incorporated into their own small towns. Benton Harbor, Michigan is a
prime example: in the 1950's it was predominately white, but in the 60's a
 nd 70's as blacks moved in - whites moved out across the river to St Joseph...
the last time I was there, Benton Harbor was referred to as Benton Harlem and
St Joseph was almost totally white.