I have no personal experience with pgsql... but I've heard from friends
and in a number of articles strong suggestions to upgrade to pgsql
7.0.  It is noticably faster.  Also I believe the Postgres docs have a
section on performance tuning.

Mark

--
"The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious enroachment by mean of
zeal, well-meaning but without understanding."