I am writing aome PHP scripts to connect to a MySQL database.  In order
to connect, I have found the following documented code:

$dbLink = mysql_connect("localhost", "my_user", "my_password")

Here, the password is plain text.  This does not seem very secure to
me.  What is to prevent someone using a program like Frontpage to
download my web and discover my password?