I'm assuming you're under Unix.  Make sure you can use sqlplus as the
webserver user (nobody under most Linuxes).  I had to add the Oracle_home
env variable to the system .profile script.  Also try setting Oracle_home
inside the httpd.conf script (SetEnv?)

For windows users having the ORA-12154 error in PHP, upgrade to the Oracle
8.1.6 client, it seems to fix everything.  (Many, many, MANY thanks to the
user that suggested that, it saved me from having to port all my stuff
to ASP.)

Mark

--
"The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious enroachment by mean of
zeal, well-meaning but without understanding."