----- Original Message -----
From: boclair <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2001 10:45 PM
Subject: Re: [PHP-DB] Select where date is in period

> ___Morris___
>
> The database has a table of equipments with date fields for
> date_online and date_offline.
>
> The requirement is to find which equipments were available on a date
> specified by the user, this being a variable created by the user.
>
> My attempts at scripting for the condition where the date_online <=
> 'specified variable' and the date_offline => 'specified variable'
> totally fail for syntax says mySQL (and possibly for method)
>
> ___Richard___
>
> Have you checked at the BETWEEN (x and y) clause?
>
> e.g.
>
>       SELECT * FROM table WHERE searchdate BETWEEN (date_online AND
> date_offline)
>
> Not tested this on MySQL, but the above is perfectly legal SQL92.
>
> ___Morris_____
>
> Thanks for that.  I searched the Manual, yet again and could not
find
> this or like syntax.  I tried it though and got
> Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource.
>
> My attempt, one of many,
>
> $result = mysql_query("select * from plant.eqpt where date_online <=
> $checkdate AND  where date_offline => $checkdate order by type,
> size");
>
> generated the same warning.

________

Please check this solution for syntax and method. MySQL didn't give
errors or warnings and results were as required.

$result = mysql_query("select * from plant.eqpt where date_online <=
$checkdate &&  $checkdate  <= date_offline order by type, size");

or can use AND in lieu of &&

or can place where conditions in brackets as

where (date_online <= $checkdate &&  $checkdate  <= date_offline)

Tim Morris