How can I manage DATE fieldtype in PHP4 with Interbase?

The problem is that i manage DATEs in format DDMMYYYY (spain) but Interbase
manage it in MMDDYYYY format; so queries expected data in that format while
i need it in other format.

             if($action=="edit" && isset($CONTEXT) && isset($DATE))
                $sth=ibase_query($ibh,"SELECT newstext FROM news WHERE
context='$CONTEXT' AND newsdate='$DATE';");

Would you send me examples (small && smart) of that?