For some examples of connecting PHP to ODBC, visit
http://php.weblogs.com/odbc

As to speed, definitely MSSQL using PHP is very fast. See some benchmarks:
http://php.weblogs.com/adodb_benchmarks

Try the ADODB database wrapper library also. It's ADO for PHP!
http://php.weblogs.com/adodb (I'm the author).

Regards, John