ODBC and ADO uses the same type of connection. In fact you need an ODBC DSN to connect
to a database using ADO.

The MSSQL functions in PHP uses a native communication with the database. This
communications is faster than using ODBC but it is not as easy moving to other
databases as it would be using ODBC, RDO or ADO (or whatever Microsoft is adding on
top of ODBC)

- Frank