This is a database, not a PHP question. Different databases have different
locking/buffering schemes. So which  are you using, and what do the
documents say about locking? Do they lock records or pages?

Generally you never attempt to lock a record until you are ready to write
to it. In general terms, if this is a record that would be hit by a lot of
users, here's a fairly foolproof method:

Establish a loop which checks to see if the record is locked. This avoids
failure of attempting to lock an already locked record. You may have to
provide for timing out if the record is never freed.

When record becomes free, lock it.

Execute your write.

Unlock the record.

On the other hand.

Hope this helps - Miles

PS You almost never lock a record for a read.