Some good advice already given, and I quite agree.  MySQL is no light-weight -
comparable to MS SQLServer and Oracle in performance.  Also, running the DB on a
dedicated DB server may buy some performance.  If you must check out SQLServer, then
http://www.sqlteam.com is a good place to start.  At work we are an ASP shop, and have
used Access for some lightweight apps, but the mandate now is to use IBM's DB2 UDB
product - a DB2 database server, also, a mainframe IBM OS-390 DB2 database.  Don't
know the price tag, but they are very robust databases, if a bit quirky getting
Microsoft stuff to talk to IBM stuff...
You could connect via the ODBC functions of PHP.
Also try looking at http://www.4guysfromrolla.com and http://www.asptoday.com - not
trying to sell ASP - just good and varied resources with good articles about
databases in general can be found there in addition to asp material...

Phil J.