The following statement will not work:

$sql = "select * from sometable t1, sometable t2 where t1.field1 =
t2.field2";

Reason being that the PHP doesnt appear to be able to handle the table
alias's t1 and t2. Since I have to do a self-join to make my real code
work properly I really need for this to function properly. I've tried
this out submitting it to MySQL directly and it works just fine.

Is there a way to fix this? I'm about to start on a work-around but it
would be so much nicer if the SQL could just be made to work correctly.

Thanks.