Make sure that your php.ini and your my.cnf both agree on where the socket
file is going to be put.  And if you make any changes, be sure to restart
both PHP/Apache and MySQL.  You might also check the logs and make sure
that MySQL is actually launching, it might be encountering an error and
quietly dieing as soon as you launch it.  I'm successfully running Apache
1.3.19, PHP 4.0.5, and MySQL 3.23.38.  When I upgraded from MySQL 3.23.32 I
had that same warning come up, all it took was restarting mysqld and the
warning went away.

Hope you can get it figured out...

-Jesse