["Larry Osborn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]
> Greetings all,
> We are having serious issues with PHP4.0.5 using OCI8 and Apache 1.3.17.
>
> We have 4 webservers that handle our various needs for oracle. Each server
> has its MaxSpareServers in the httpd.conf set to 100. So that turns out to
> be 400 connections to the Oracle database.  We are not using persistent
> connections, because that makes the problem worse.  Does anyone know of a
> way to limit the number of database connections without having to turn away
> users by limiting the number of apache processes?
>
> We are using php+apache+oci8 to subscribe and unsubscribe people to our
> mailing list.  We have simple select and update queries using non-persistent
> connections.  Im not too sure what other information I would need to
> provide, Im just a webdeveloper, not a sysadmin, so please bear that in mind
> :)
>
> Thanks for any help you can give me.

Hi,

Oracle is able to handle hundreds and even thousands of simultaneous
connections if you configure it right.  Try setting up (or have your
DBA set up) the Oracle server in multithreaded mode if it isn't
already, and use the dispatcher and the listener.  The dispatcher
implements connection pooling for you, sharing a small number of
Oracle server processes between a lot of connections.  This is an
ideal setup for web applications, it also relieves the web application
from having to think about connection pooling (although I think plogon
will be slightly faster, we never tested without it).

I recently did a test with this setup, and it gave us 200+ tps with
500 "users".  Apache and the Oracle server were running on the same
machine, with 2x733 P3s and 2GB RAM.

There's a lot of knobs in the connection setup you can tune to make it
work for you: the number of simultaneous connections per dispatcher
process (we used 250), the number of dispatcher processes (we used 8)
and the number of shared Oracle server processes (I _think_ we used
8).  Our Apache config had MaxSpareServers set to 450, and during the
test it pretty much kept all Apache processes busy, just to give you
an idea of the volume this setup can handle.

 - Stig

--
  Stig Sæther Bakken <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  Fast Search & Transfer ASA, Trondheim, Norway