I am putting the finishing touches on a forum program which has a direct
lineage (look and feel at least) to Matt Wright's WWWBoard perl script.
Remember that?

Today I have one table per forum.  The forums on my live test site are

I have long dreamed of combining all the messages into one big honking
table in MySQL and parse accordingly.  I already know how to do this, but
wonder the following:

- Will MySQL lookup performance suffer... much?
- Is this just not a good idea?
- Will this make MySQL just flat out quit?

I have heard the hype behind MySQL being able to handle incredible amounts
of data with relative ease.  I hear that MySQL does a good job when you
are doing mostly reads as is the case here.  So far, I have had absolutly
no issues with MySQL and just love it.  Thus, I am automatically biased.

So what say you non-biased folks about data management for a multi-topic
forum where each forum has identical structure, but differ only in topic?

Combine and simplify?

Divide and conquer?

John Huggins
Virginia Net Corporation