If you created each column name on the table (i assume that's how this is
working) and then as rita said, dump the searched variables as hidden
inputs, then you could have something like this happen;

<form name="reorder" action="<?php echo $PHP_SELF ?>" method="POST">
<input type="hidden" name="first_var" value="myVal">
<input type="hidden" name="second_var" value="yourVal">
<input type="hidden" name="sort" value="">

document.reorder.submit();">Sort By Position</a>

</form>

which sets the value of the empty $sort input field to "position" and then
submits the form, so you can look for $sort and assuming it's a valid field
name, do something like
"SELECT * FROM people ORDER BY " . $sort

HTH
Beau