Yes, that syntax is OK if you EXACTLY match the structure of the table. If
you redesign the table and insert a column between name and cat, your data
will go into the new field. For that reason I prefer

insert into test set name = "shen", cat = "a,c"

Yes, one insert statement per line. To do multiple inserts you could store
the values in an array and then set up a loop to process the array, one
insertion per row.

You could extend that to open and read a text file,
http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.fopen.php
http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.fgets.php

parsing each line into an array

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.split.php
or
http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.explode.php

and using your array processing code to do the rest.

Have fun - Miles Thompson