Try escaping the quotes:

$ssql="select concat(category, \"-\", code) as ..."

Either that, or try surrounding the - with single quotes, as in '-'.

What's probably happening is that the query is being rendered as "select
concat (category, ", which isn't a valid query.

At 10:15 AM 10/24/2001, you wrote:
>I am using concat in my sql and it runs fine on mysql client. But when used
>in php it gives me an error:
>Supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in
><b>/var/www/html/scripts/cfg_code_delete.php</b> on line <
>$ssql="select concat(category, "-", code) as fill_column, code_id as
>submit_column from sys_code_tbl order by category";
>echo "<OPTION  selected value=\"\"></OPTION>";
>$result = mysql_query($ssql);
>while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))
>   {
>       echo "<OPTION
>   }
>Help is appreciated.
>Harpreet Kaur
>Software Developer
>Crispin Corporations Inc.
>PHP Database Mailing List (

Richard S. Crawford
AIM: Buffalo2K   ICQ: 11646404  Y!: rscrawford
invisible to the eye."  --Antoine de Saint Exupéry

"Push the button, Max!"