The OASIS project for ad-server uses hierchical system for the sections
stored in Mysql.
the simplest structure is a  row with 3 fields(node_id - autoincrement,
parent_id int, data - sometype). the root has parent_id NULL or 0(because
autoincrements usually starts from 1, but this is subject to change by user).
I think that this makes clear how to implement the tree.

Have fun.

Andrey Hristov
Web Developer
Icygen Corporation