I have code at work that encodes and decodes escape chars when inserted into
mysql or displayed as html.

Can't remember the syntax exactly but I did use htmlentities and then
array_flip on the way out. There is an example in the php help file.

Found it. I love it when PHP can do stuff like this :-)

      PHP Manual
      Prev  Next

----

get_html_translation_table
(PHP 4 >= 4.0b4)

get_html_translation_table --  Returns the translation table used by
htmlspecialchars() and htmlentities()
Description

string get_html_translation_table (int table [, int quote_style])

get_html_translation_table() will return the translation table that is used
internally for htmlspecialchars() and htmlentities(). There are two new
defines (HTML_ENTITIES, HTML_SPECIALCHARS) that allow you to specify the
table you want. And as in the htmlspecialchars() and htmlentities()
functions you can optionally specify the quote_style you are working with.
The default is ENT_COMPAT mode. See the description of these modes in
htmlspecialchars(). Example 1. Translation Table Example

$trans = get_html_translation_table (HTML_ENTITIES);
$str = "Hallo & <Frau> & Krämer";
$encoded = strtr ($str, $trans);

The $encoded variable will now contain: "Hallo &amp; &lt;Frau&gt; &amp;
Kr&auml;mer".

The cool thing is using array_flip() to change the direction of the
translation.

$trans = array_flip ($trans);
$original = strtr ($str, $trans);

The content of $original would be: "Hallo & <Frau> & Krämer".
  Note: This function was added in PHP 4.0.

See also: htmlspecialchars(), htmlentities(), strtr(), and array_flip().

----
      Prev Home Next
      explode Up get_meta_tags

If you're still needing an example mail me at [EMAIL PROTECTED] and
I'll send you code.

Steve

"Don" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:01bc01c16870$6709b5c0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
Hi,

I have a mysql database that contains various data.  I am using PHP to pull
out the data and display it within a HTML form.  I am having trouble with
certain data that contains escaped characters.

Example: field contains --> mr "John Smith"

My PHP code is:
echo "<td width=\"50%\"><input type=\"text\" name=\"name" . $rownum . "\"
size=\"46\" value=\"" . $queryRow[name] . "\"></td>";

The result displayed is --> mr

What happened to "John Smith" ???

I have tried the functions stripslashes and addslashes but still no luck.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Don