if you just echo() the results/messages as you come across them, the page
should "incrementally" load.

in my experience (IE5?) if there is data being "added" to the page, then the
browser will display what it can, and keep adding to it until the stream
breaks or it finishes. one thing to note is that you wouldn't be able to do
any tables because they don't display until the code all the way to the end
of the table is available.

HTH

/beau