Hi,
    I hope this is of some help. Programmatically, the idea is:

(html) begin a select input type
(php) connect_to_db ---> query ---> add options (one at a time, in a loop)
(html) end the select input type

The follwing code works for a table named projects with a field named project.
Apply it however you want. "Passing the query results" is accomplished using
mysql_fetch_array() and a while() loop  in combination with the echo command to
convert the $result (from mysql_db_query) to HTML output.

This message is somewhat redundant considering Richard Hillström's response
below, but I cut & pasted my method for doing the exact same thing (in almost,
gee, exactly the same way...)  :-@

Defaults to "None" (and will give this option even if the query fails, or the
table is empty):

<select name="proj_id">
<option value="None" selected> None </option>
<?php
 mysql_connect('foo','foouser','foopass');
 $query = "SELECT project FROM projects";
 $result = mysql_db_query("metadata", $query);
 if ($result) {
 while ($r = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
 $project = $r["project"];
 echo "<option value=$project> $project </option>";
 ?>
</select>

Cheers,
-db

"Mark C. Farrington" wrote:

> Thanks for the quick response, but I'm still having a bit of difficulty with
> it.
>
> I'll go into a bit more detail:
>
> I have my database and what I need in the dropdown is the results of a query
> on the field unit_tag in a table named unit_name.
> I see how the code snippet creates the dropdown box but I'm still fuzzy on
> how to pass the query results.

Dan Barton
Terrestrial Program Biologist
Asst. Data Manager