Barry,

> We have a field named: related_discipline which contains 1 of 12 different
>disciplines. So for example we have
Rail which could be in the field, or Utilities and so on.. what we need to do is know
how many of each there are
in the database, I am still developing my knowledge of PHP and MySql so help would be
appreciated. We need to be
able to display the 12 different options that could be in that field in the database
and how many entries there
are for each option.

=check out the online manual.
The function required is appropriately enough called COUNT(). In order to get the
count to apply to a particular
"discipline" use the GROUP BY and retrieve twelve counts (from one SELECT query).

=dn