Sarcasm be damned. If it's MySQL, then
http://www.mysql.com/doc/
and it's searchable.

I've worked with four SQL databases and they are similar enough that I always
have to refer to the docs when things stop working. Tricks in one don't necessarily
work in the others. You need to look at the UPDATE command for whatever database
you are using.

To answer your question, many databases allow UPDATE set field = field + $var,
and it's a good idea to add a where condition, otherwise you change every record in
the table

Miles Thompson