Hi again everyone,

Alnisa Allgood wrote:

> You may want to check HotScripts, or the PHP Resource Index
> (http://www.hotscripts.com) and (http://php.resourceindex.com). These
> locations will most likely have an array of free or low-cost library
> solutions.

    Thanks all for the HotScripts etc. references.

> The biggest issue is despite the thought that a library is a library,
> not all solutions are the same or that similar. Many work for
> specific purposes. A good example is I've just finished the first
> phase development of a library system. The solution will eventually
> be open source, but serves a limited need.

This is more of the issue I'm dealing with. The several "HotScripts" for
this purpose may or may not be useful, all will probably require some
modification (which can be easy or very very hard depending on the
quality/style of coding...)

> The primary goal is for the solution to track materials (books,
> articles, media), and software for our various client and users. To
> that regard the library and software tables store any reference of a
> particular material. From this base, clients and users an then build
> their own personal libraries for viewing and tracking purposes. So
> each client can have a library, as well as each user at a client
> site. Ultimately, I hope to add a lending component to it, and work
> with some of our nonprofits to do cross-organizational  check-outs
> and returns.  The system is highly geared for technology-based
> libraries, since this is of course our primary purpose for providing
> the service.

I wrote a (PHP-based) CVS-type system that we use - same general idea. Your
project probably has more database table fields.

> So before you go searching, you may want to think a bit more about
> what your needs are. Are you just tracking books? What about
> articles? Journals? Magazines? Media?  Do you need categories? How
> many categories can an item be stored in? Single? Multiple?  This are
> just some issues.  But once you've gone through them, you may have a
> better idea of which pre-built systems will work for you or not.

We are tracking journals, books, our own publications (about 1,200+), audio
recordings, perhaps also some electronic media (although most of this is
private, and is already in the CVS-type system we use.) We'd like to be able
to integrate the system with other library catalogs easily and efficiently,
another reason why any old solution might not work...
In terms of categories, there's the general need to follow natural groupings
(journals with journals etc.) or subject groupings, in the same way a
library catalog would.

I have yet to come across a system that can do all of this. (Yes, I did
"Google" it before I asked on the list for all of the folks who adamantly
suggest we do that.)

Thanks,
db

--